For the description how to request a new keyword, please see: Keyword_(Create_Change_Request).
Keywords aid the search for classification classes within the eCl@ss class structure. As only one name can be defined for a classification class, eCl@ss offers the possibility, to assign more alternative names for a class with the help of keywords. E.g. the eCl@ss 8.1 class 23110104 "Hammer head bolt" has the keyword "T-head bolt" as an alternative name for the same product group, so that users who speak of a "T-head bolt" can find the same class that is officially named "Hammer head bolt".
Keywords must not have exactly the same meaning as the preferred name of the classification class (e.g. class: pliers, keyword: pipe pliers). Keywords must not match the preferred name of the class they belong to. Keywords must not be too general in character (the keyword ‘school’ would be to vague for a class named ‘ballpoint pen’). Keywords are preferably to be entered in singular form. Keywords cannot be translated 1:1 and therefore vary in the eCl@ss language versions.
Element structure (keyword)
The following part will describe how the structural element "keyword" is structured and what attributes it consists of. All attributes are named in CamelCase writing. Attributes can be mandatory or optional, can be created automatically or manually be the user and underly certain rules. All of them are limited to a certain amount of characters.
Preferred Name (keyword)
- 80 character limit
- no special characters allowed
- is a unique name, i.e. does not exist more than once in the eCl@ss classification system
- Begins with a capital Letter in any language where capital letters exist
- Must not contain a trademark, company or brand name
- It should be possible to use the preferred name within a continuous text , i.e.
- Adjective before noun (German, English)
- Lower case for adjectives
- Avoid combinations of several terms, keywords/synonyms are denoted separately
- Give preference where possible to the basic grammatical form (singular, infinitive)
- The following special characters must be avoided: semicolons (;), inverted commas (")
- Do not use additions which resemble properties
Today, the explanation of the keyword is an optional text field. The objectives and rules are not the same as for the class definition. It shall be a description to deliver details about the keyword in comparison to other keywords, especially when they have the same PreferredName (e.g. a keyword bank for something to rest in a public park and the keyword bank for a financial institute shall be distinguished with the help of the explanation).
The formal rules for keyword explanations are the following:
- 1023 character limit
- no special characters allowed
- no mark at the end of the definition
Release notes (Keyword)
The description of a keyword in the BASIC release notes is as follows (update: release 7.1):
How to request a change on a keyword in the eCl@ss ContentDevelopmentPortal?
Please see here: Keyword (Create Change Request)
Rules for the creation of a change request are described here: General rules for Change Requests